Moving DNS is easier than I thought. Here’s how I did it.
- Login to the 2003 box, and open the DHCP management console. I always do this from Start >> Run >> dhcpmgmt.msc, but whatevski. As long as you can get there.
- Right-click the server name in the tree view, and choose Backup …
- If you stick the default, it puts it in the %windir%\system32\dhcp\backup folder, which is fine for me.
- Now stop the DHCP Server service on that machine.
- On the 2008 box, install the DHCP role using the Run As Administrator command line:
servermanagercmd -install DHCP
sc \\localhost config DHCPServer start= auto
sc start DHCPServer
- This will probably take awhile. Go grab a cup of coffee or something.
- When that’s done, start the DHCP Server service on the 2008 machine, and then open the DHCP Management console (again, Start >> dhcpmgmt.msc).
- Right click the server name, choose Restore …. and browse to the \\$server-2003-machine\c$\windows\system32\dhcp\backup folder, and click OK.
- When that’s all done, right-click the server name and choose Authorize.
Presto! You’re all migrated.