Sustainability Committee at Grays Harbor College Rotating Header Image

Meeting Minutes

Meeting Minutes 1-26-2012

GHC Sustainability Committee Meeting

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Choker Dining Room, 3pm

Attendance: Erik Sandgren, Adrienne Roush, Gary Hay, Janel Spaulding.

 

Agenda:

1) Introductions-Everyone present provided introductions.

 

 

2) Recycling Bin Update-The NR Club is going around to inventory all of the recycling bins and to find out which classrooms need recycling bins. They will take the lead in sorting out aluminum from the paper/cardboard waste and will use the recycling as a fundraiser. The issue in the past is that the custodians don’t want to sort out the paper from aluminum but now that issue is resolved with the help of the NR Club.

 

 

3) Sustainability Blog Update-The Sustainability Blog is now being updated thanks to David Mills, one of the student reps on our committee. He worked with Ralph Hogaboom to update the links that weren’t working like the sustainability tips. Thanks to David for taking the lead on this!

 

 

4) Earth Day Planning-Earth Day is officially on Sunday, April 22nd. The group agreed to hold Earth Day on the Tuesday before on April 17th. Gary volunteered to reserve the HUB, fireside room and Choker Dining Room for the day’s activities. Todd Bates’ forestry students would be available on a Tuesday or Thursday to help lead the trail activities. Janel would like to see similar activities to what we had last year with the different exhibitors/organizations, the clothing drive, and the trail activities. Here is what has been done in the past:

 

  • Sustainable Food Booth- Chickens
  • E-book booth, demonstrate different reader programs
  • City of Hoquiam: a community garden booth and/or electric car
  • Master gardeners: a composting booth
  • Ocean Gold
  • Grays Harbor PUD
  • Grays Harbor Marine Resources Committee
  • Vision 2020: Mike Myers (Recycling)
  • Hospital: Mandy Schumate
  • CCAP for their wind turbines
  • Panel Tech
  • Wild Olympics Campaign
  • Olympic Agenda: Sam Gibboney Office: 360-379-4831 Cell: 360-643-3028
  • Community Hospital: Mandy Shumate steveandmandysm@comcast.net
  • Rayonier
  • Instructables.com booth about sustainability resources
  • Send out an email for baby food jars
  • Freecycle/Ewaste Booth
  • Textbook Rentals
  • Carbon Footprint
  • Recycling bins on people: students could walk around “wearing” recycling bins and explain to people what can be recycled and what can’t

 

Here is a list of things we need people to start helping with:

-Reserve the HUB, Choker Dining Room, and Fireside Room for Earth Day Activities and tables/chairs, etc-Gary volunteered to help with this.

-Work with Student Government to try to show film on food waste-Gary volunteered to help with this.

-Coordinate with exhibitors/organizations for booth/activity-Janel will take the lead on this.

-Coordinate with Todd Bates for trail activities and help get the word out to students

-Coordinate the clothing drive: suggested that we have people “model” the clothes.

-Coordinate advertising i.e. flyers, brochures, radio, tvs in HUB, readerboard, etc: suggested by Erik that all flyers etc are done in black and white to save on costs and environment.

 

 

5) Trail Project Idea-Tom Kuester

Tom Kuester has had an idea to build a trail from campus to the South Shore Mall. Currently students have to walk along the Highway, which is not really safe because there is no sidewalk. Tom has gone out with Todd to do a little surveying work to see where the trail might go. Tom couldn’t be here today to elaborate on this idea, but wanted to get the idea out to the group to see if there is something we could help with. At this point this is in the very early planning stages. Tom is proposing a trail to be built from the lower parking lot that goes through the fields and trees to Huntley rd. As the weather gets nicer we can ask Tom to come to a meeting and we could go on a “tour” of his proposed trail.

 

6) Next Meeting-February 16th

October 2011 Meeting Minutes

Sustainability Committee Meeting

10-20-11

 

In Attendance:

Janel Spaulding, Natural Resources Dept.

Adrienne Roush, Library

David Mills, GHAB

Gary Hay, ASGHC

Lynn Siedenstrang, Math/Science Dept.

Erik Sandgren, Art Dept.

Kathy Barker, Transition Programs

Todd Bates, Natural Resources Dept.

Kenji Seta, Math Dept.

 

 

Agenda:

1) Introductions

2) Review of past committee work

3) New Projects

4) Sustainability Tip of the Week Sign-Up

5) Planning for Upcoming Projects/Events

a. Campus Sustainability Day

b. Earth Day, 2012

6) Next Meeting

 

Meeting Notes:

1) Introductions:

Everyone provided self-introductions.

 

2) Review of past committee work:

The Grays Harbor College Institutional Footprint Project was mentioned as a project completed a couple of years ago by AmeriCorps volunteers in the Coastal Resources Learning Center. This project was meant to serve as a starting point to more formally pursue sustainability at Grays Harbor College by informing and educating the college and community of where GHC is currently at and a vision for the future. The Institutional Footprint Project can be found on the Sustainability Blog at GHC: blogs.ghc.edu/sustainable

 

The Sustainability Action Plan was developed by AmeriCorps volunteers in the Coastal Resources Learning Center and the Sustainability Committee. This plan was meant to be a supplement to the Institutional Footprint Project that called out specific action items the Sustainability Committee could take the lead on. There were 9 action steps called out in the Sustainability Action Plan. The Plan can be found on the Sustainability Blog at GHC: blogs.ghc.edu/sustainable

 

The Sustainability Committee has been instrumental in planning and organizing the Annual Earth Day Celebration at the College. Last year we had an Earth Day Fair in the HUB with a variety of hands-on exhibitors and activities from the campus community and our local community as well. We also held a work day on the trails with local school kids and Todd’s forestry program students led the trail activities.

 

3) New Projects:

The Sustainability Committee has not yet developed a mission statement. It was suggested that the group’s first step this year should be to develop a mission statement. Each member will think about their definition of sustainability and what she be entailed in a mission statement for the committee and will bring their ideas back to the next Sustainability Committee Meeting.

 

It was also suggested to align the mission statement goals with what was presented in the GHC Accreditation Report on Sustainability review at the College. The section discussing sustainability can be found under Chapter 4, Objective 4 starting on pg 111.

 

Janel will meet with President Brewster to have a further discussion on what the mission statement and/or goals of the Committee might be.

 

4) Sustainability Tip of the Week Sign-Up:

A sign-up sheet was sent around the room for members to sign up to develop a Sustainability Tip of the Week. The Tip of the Week gets emailed out to the campus community every Monday. Past Tips have included: bottled water vs. tap water, energy efficient light bulbs, energy efficiency in the home, sustainable gardening, the importance of forests, carbon footprints, etc. Please email your tip to Janel by the date you sign up for (or earlier) and she will send it out to the campus on that date. For example, if you sign up for November 28th she needs your tip by the morning of the 28th so she can email it out in the afternoon.

 

Here are the dates that everyone signed up for and the dates with no name means we need someone to do a tip for this week:

 

October 31st, 2011: Janel Spaulding

November 7th, 2011: Kenji Seta

November 14th, 2011: Adrienne Roush

November 21st, 2011: Kathy Barker

November 28th, 2011:

December 5th, 2011: Erik Sandgren

January 9th, 2012:

January 16th, 2012: Todd Bates

January 23rd, 2012: Cal Erwin-Svoboda

January 30th, 2012: Lynn Siedenstrang

February 6th, 2012: Gary Hay

February 13th, 2012: Adrienne Roush

February 20th, 2012: Erik Sandgren

February 27th, 2012:

March 5th, 2012:

March 12th, 2012: Gary Hay

March 19th, 2012:

April 9th, 2012: Kathy Barker

April 16th, 2012: Cal Erwin-Svoboda

April 23rd, 2012: David Mills

April 30th, 2012:

May 7th, 2012: Janel Spaulding

May 14th, 2012: David Mills

May 21st, 2012: Adrienne Roush

May 28th, 2012: Todd Bates

June 4th, 2012:

June 11th, 2012: Cal Erwin-Svoboda

June 18th, 2012:

 

As you can see there are still many dates available so please sign up if you have not already done so.

 

5) Planning for Upcoming Projects/Events:

The Committee expressed interest in doing a Campus Sustainability Day, but not on the National Day as it is scheduled for October 26th and there was not enough time to pull something together. The Committee will think about doing an event in the Winter Quarter.

 

The Committee expressed interest in taking the lead in coordinating next year’s (2012) Earth Day Celebration. The group will work on organizing that event over the coming months. The event will likely be a similar format to last year which included an Earth Day Fair in the HUB and a work day on the trails on campus.

 

6) Next Meeting:

The next Sustainability Committee Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, November 14th at 3pm in the Choker Dining Room in the HUB. Janel will send out an email with agenda when the date gets a little closer.

 

March 2011 Minutes

GRAYS HARBOR COLLEGE

SUSTAINABILITY COMMITTEE

MINUTES

 

Monday –March 14, 2011 – 3:00PM

Choker Dining Room

  1. Attendance – Welcome to Guests
  • Lorena, Janelle, Kim, Cara-Beth, Adrienne, Jayme, Ralph

 

  1. Opportunity for opening comment(s)

 

  1. Monthly meetings
  • April Meeting Date: Monday the 11th from 3-4

 

  1. Earth Day Planning- New Date: Monday the 25th from 3-4
  • See Earth Day Agenda
  • Have the teacher forward PowerPoints ahead of time for student showcase. Forward them to Sara Alvarez
  • Check with Sara to make sure she is available for technology/video help
  • Do we want to open the sustainability fair early to allow college students to experience it without children.
  • Facility Use Form-choker dining room and the fireside room-Lorena
  • Contact Russ Jones about his environmental education students bringing their posters-Adrienne Roush
  • Create a list of booths that can be easily mobilized and put outside depending on weather
  • Update clubs on new date
  • Need 6 volunteers for the trail- Janel will check with Todd, Kim will email something to the friends of CRLC
  • Ralph will take over marketing
  • Put the clothing exchange out to the clubs to see if somebody will take it over- Cara Beth
  • Sustainable Food Booth- Chickens: We need more people to help with this booth. Jessica will check into an FFA student to help with this booth
  • Adrienne will spearhead an e-book booth, demonstrate different reader programs
  • People who can be here all day
    • Lorena
    • Kim
    • Jessica
    • Janel
    • Adrienne
    • Jayme Peterson
    • Ralph- with surrogates
    • Contact the city of Hoquiam to do a community garden booth
    • Contact master gardeners about a composting booth, don tapio at the county extension office
    • Contact Grays Harbor Paper
    • Contact Heidi Happonen-Ocean Gold
    • Contact Grays Harbor PUD
    • Contact Five-Star and ask about an electric car, bruce titus might work as well about the Nissan leaf, city of Hoquiam might have some too (Alyssa Thurman)
    • Contact the MRC and ask about anybody who would like a booth
    • Vision 2020: Mike Myers (Recycling)-see email and Ron Pinnick
    • Hospital: Mandy Schumate
    • CCAP for their wind turbines
    • Panel Tech
    • Wild Olympics Campaign
    • Olympic Agenda: Sam Gibboney Office: 360-379-4831 Cell: 360-643-3028
    • Community Hospital: Mandy Shumate steveandmandysm@comcast.net
    • Rayonier
    • Instructables.com booth about sustainability resources
    • Send out an email for baby food jars
    • Freecycle/Ewaste Booth
    • Textbook Rentals
    • Carbon Footprint

 

  1. New business

 

  1. Closing Comments

 

  1. Adjourn

 

January 2010 Minutes

GRAYS HARBOR COLLEGE

SUSTAINABILITY COMMITTEE

Minutes

Monday –January 10, 2011 – 3:00PM

Choker Dining Room

1.      Attendance – Welcome to Guests

o   Lorena Marchant, Janelle Spaulding, Tom Kuester, Lynn Sidenstrang, Kim Jones, Laura Ratcliff, Jayme Peterson, Kelly Toda, Adrienne Roushe

2.      Opportunity for opening comment(s)

o   The wellness committee is having a walking challenge and we should encourage people to walk on our trails.

3.      Department Report: Cancelled

o   Next month: Instruction

4.      Monthly meetings

o   February Meeting Date: Monday the 14th from 3-4, Jessica will reserve a room

5.      Sustainability Action Team

o   We’re slow getting started on this. I do have information on our sub-committees. (See addendum)

o   Sustainability Action Plan

o   Jessica will email the executive summary and the summary/recommendations out to the committee.

6.      Service Learning: There will be a conference at the end of April in San Diego, there may be an opportunity for interested people to go to that.

7.      Washington Campus Compact Field Trip (Tentative, February 4th)

o   South Puget Sound Community College

§  Attendees: Jayme Peterson, Lorena Marchant, Kim Jones, Jessica James

8.      Sustainability Tip of the Week Sign Up

9.      New business

10.  Closing Comments

o   Ford unveiled a fully electric car.

11.  Adjourn 4:45

November 2010 Minutes

GRAYS HARBOR COLLEGE

SUSTAINABILITY COMMITTEE

Minutes

Monday – December 6th, 2010 – 3:00PM

Choker Dining Room

1.      Attendance – Welcome to Guests

o   Lorena Marchant, Jessica James, Kim Jones, Tom Kuester, Lynn Sidenstrang, Julie Nelson, Laura Ratcliff, Jamie Peterson, Kelly Toda, Teresa Bravenec, Heidi Bornhoff, Craig Miller, Janel Spaulding

2.      Opportunity for opening comment(s)

o   If you are new there has only been one meeting this year that you have missed.

o   Craig Miller- I want to thank you Lorena for all your effort. The new childcare center will be doing a recycling effort and they were looking for a new container for that. We should look into that. Lorena will follow up with Tracy in the childcare center.

3.      Department Report: Campus operations

o   Lorena- before you get started I wanted to let you know that we will be putting up some posters with information about what your department is doing.

o   Craig-

§  When we expanded our lower parking lot we did it very cheaply with recycled concrete from the 600 building.

§  We recycle all our fluorescent tubes.

§  We recycle in all building using the blue tubs.

§  We use all green chemicals here on campus and are expanding to our satellite campuses.

o   Lorena- we try to use all of the same materials (paper towels, etc…) to reduce shipping and packaging.

o   Craig- Mindy in receiving recycles all of her packaging.

§  We recycle all of our toner cartridges and earned two new printers ($3000) with the points for recycling

§  The glue-lamb beams in the childcare center are recycled as well as extra decking from the 2000 building. We saved thousands.

§  All of the furniture from the 600 building was sent to local schools to use rather than being thrown away.

§  The childcare center was the first building in GH County to receive the Gold Leed Award. The award will be mounted in the new building. We were required to meet at least Leed Silver but we were able to get the gold. The building site for the childcare center gave us points because we used a parking lot and didn’t have to cut down any trees. The heating systems recycle energy. At least 32% of the materials used needed to be within 500 miles of Aberdeen. Low flow toilets were used. Landscaping was environmentally friendly. Over 50% of the waste had to be recycled and they had several different dumpsters and had to keep track of it.

§  Roglins stored the beams for us until we decided to use them and then the sea port took them until we needed them for building. It saved us $$ on storage costs.

§  Some of the metal fitting from the 600 building were refurbished for sailing vessels.

§  The shipyard took parts of the extra glulam beams and made furniture.

§  Lorena- has there been any publicity for the Gold Leed Award

§  Craig- We do everything possible to maintain our “small waste generator” status.

  • We went through all the buildings and figured out what was going to give us the biggest payback and running natural gas instead of propane to the new A&W building will save a lot in energy costs so we received a big grant for that.

§  Lorena- Will that savings be an energy savings or a cost savings?

  • Craig- They say it’s more efficient but it will be a big cost saver.

§  Tom- Should I send an email about individual timers for thermostats?

  • Craig- Yes

4.      Monthly meetings

o   Survey Results: Will these times work for winter quarter as well?

§  The Second Week of the Month

§  M, W, or Th between 2-4p.m.

o   No Meeting in December, this is November’s meeting which was postponed due to inclement weather.

o   January Meeting Date- January 10th from 3-4p.m.- Jessica will find a room.

5.      Sustainability Action Team

o   The college received a grant from WACC to form a sustainability action team. The biggest difference between a committee and an action team is outside involvement. We are trying to involve more students and people in our community that could help us become more sustainable (PUD, MRC, ect…)

o   Laura- One of my concerns is the lack of composting. Does LeMay have a composting program?

§  Lorena- LeMay does not have a program in GH County.

o   Stafford Creek has a composting program and a truck comes every month to take it away. Maybe we could have a speaker come and share methods with us.

o   The other requirement for our WACC grant is putting together a Sustainability Action Plan (1 page with bullet points to 20 page proposal). We had a general consensus to make it fairly simple. We do need to have an itemized list.

§  Publish the executive summary from the Institutional Footprint Project

6.      Service Learning

o   WACC encourages us to look into integrating service learning into the STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) disciplines. We are looking into integrating service learning into curriculum and identifying service learning that is already present.

o   Service learning has a reflection piece.

7.      Washington Campus Compact Field Trip

o   We visited Evergreen State College in October for Dialogue for Democracy to learn about how they are working on sustainability and service learning.

o   We will be meeting again quarterly.

o   Tentative meeting is at SPSCC is on February 4th

8.      New business

o   Sub-comittees- we will send out a survey monkey to figure out who wants to focus on what

o   We will be trying to get campus departments to come and report on what they are doing.

o   Is there any way to start a sustainability class?

§  We’re not making new classes right now because of budget cuts.

§  Community Special Interest Classes/Seminars might work. Mark Riseman or Cindy Wilson is in charge.

§  On this note you might be able to do a onetime 299 class for credit.

9.      Closing Comments

10.  Adjourn- 4:05

October 2010 Minutes

GRAYS HARBOR COLLEGE

SUSTAINABILITY COMMITTEE

Minutes

Thursday – OCTOBER 21, 2010 – 4:30PM

200 BUILDING MEETING ROOM

  1. Attendance – Welcome to Guests
    • Lorena Marchant, Julie Nelson, Kenji Seta, Janelle Spaulding, Jessica James, Kim Jones, Tom Kuester, Holly Mattson, Todd Bates
  1. Introduction of Jessica James and Kim Jones (AmeriCorps)
    • Jessica in particular will be involved with the Sustainability Committee this year.
  1. Review of previous year’s work
    • Looking at Recycling and Sustainability on campus. We did a recycling audit to see how the recycling program has been going. We completed a 70 page institutional footprint project. We worked on but couldn’t complete becoming a tree campus last year.
    • We have been successful with Earth Day celebrations and restoration projects.
  1. Opportunity for opening comment(s)
    • Kim- Restoring the model watershed and getting rid of invasive plants.
    • Jessica- Cutting recycling down further than 30%.
    • Janelle- Continue the sustainability tip of the week (Todd brought this up as well)
    • Janelle- Find out how much energy is used by handicapped door buttons by those who don’t need it.
    • Kenji- Encouraging people to use the stairs instead of wasting energy on the elevator.
    • Kenji-Any thoughts about composting?
      • We are not doing food waste composting but we do landscaping composting.
    • Kenji- Gothic fonts use less ink and we could save a lot of money and toner use.
      • We switched the printers that we could to double sided
    • ?-Promote double sided printing and copying.
    • Lorena- We have discouraged people from putting fliers in every mail box.
    • Kenji- Using smaller margins and lighter copy modes
    • Tod- We could possibly default the copy machines to print double sided and use a lighter setting.
    • Todd- Continue to celebrate Earth Day and National Campus Sustainability Day as two nice events to bookend the year.
    • Tom- PUD and Federal incentive programs need to be advertised and the community needs to be aware of them. (Tax credits, rebates, ect…)
    • Kim- Some students do not even know what compact fluorescent light bulbs are, we could educate them.
    • Julie- Food composting could attract critters and incur more cost for the college but the sustainability tip of the week.
    • Holly- I like Jessica’s idea to increase recycling, we could put the sustainability tips of the week on the TV’s in the HUB
    • Lorena- There is a sustainability blog that has archived tips of the week and minutes.
    • Lorena- I would like to educate people about recycling so we can spread further across the campus.
    • Tom- We could create a new category for campus alerts.
  1. Monthly meetings- schedule for the year
    • Lorena- Maybe we could do a survey on survey monkey to figure out a time.
  1. Sustainability Tip of the Week
    • Signup sheet going around.
    • Reminder will go out a week before.
    • Get the tips to Jessica by Monday the week they are due.
  1. New business
    • Sustainability Action Plan (WACC and Learn and Serve America)
      • We received a grant called the NW sustainability initiative. This grant will allow us to go to other schools to see how they are doing and going to conferences as well.
        • As a part of this grant we must create a sustainability action plan.
          • Possibly change the sustainability committee to a sustainability action team so that we can include outside partners.
        • Tom- we should start out with a prioritized list rather than a grandiose document so that it will be manageable in our small institution.
      • Conference in San Diego to integrate service learning into STEM disciplines.
      • Washington Campus Compact Field Trips (First one Friday October 29th to Evergreen: Dialogue for Democracy)
        • This is a quarterly event. We will be visiting other schools. South Puget sound is about a year ahead of us as far as service learning goes.
    • Service Learning- We will be spending time talking to instructors and trying to increase and implement service learning projects in STEM disciplines. Be on the lookout for Lorena bending your ear.
    • Subcommittee work groups: Energy, Transportation, Purchasing, Food Service, Events, Landscaping/Community Gardening
      • There are not enough people on this committee to have five working groups so Jessica and Kim will be point people for those five groups so you can sign onto those that you are interested.
      • Rotaract is the college equivalent of Rotary and getting a branch started could really help us with projects like this.
      • Natural Resources Club is active and getting started and may be interested. Kim and Jessica could probably come and speak.
  1. Next meeting
    • The week of November 15th
  1. Adjourn 5:30